Social Icons

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Naren Limbu Khapung’s Nepali Thito

We chatted up on a rainy Wednesday with Naren Limbu, about his latest album “Nepali Thito”. He came in
drenched, despite the late phone call. Here are some excerpts about this album, his love for music and as a director of music videos.
naren
First of all congratulations on your new album, and we are sorry about the rain?
Thank you, it’s alright, it was fun actually.

Let’s talk about your new album, how long did it take for you to finish it?
It took about 2 years. I have included songs from 3-4 years ago as well. Nepali Thito, the title song has
Nepali folk music. I have tried to change the track this time, and have incorporated folk music in 4 songs.

Why the transition into folk music?
It’s not a complete transition, just a mix of different music. As we grow old we try and look for our identities, so I thought I should have some Nepali tunes into my album.

How did you compile the folk music?
Biju Karmarcharya the arranger had musicians coming in and recording the music, we have focused on madal and flute.

What about the lyrics?
I have written all the songs myself.

Inspiration behind the lyrics.
I am used to writing my songs. I have done something different with Nepali Thito and have tried to have some Nepali pann into it. Just things that people face in love.

You also direct music videos, and have done so for this album as well. Tells us something about Vanna audaina’s video?
The direction is done by Bryan Rai along with me. There is no concept at all, I wanted to take beauty shots and Mala Limbu fit the bill. Not all video has to have stories all the time.

Your next video is of Ke sarho bhako, which is a funny one.
It has lot of Purbeli bhaka, like ke sarho bhako. It was done with a fixed camera, with wide lens and everything has been done as candid shots.

Is there a reason behind having cute girls and of mongolian descent in all your videos?
There is no specific reason, but I want to promote girls of my ethnicity as they hardly get any other chances otherwise. And all the girls are people I know.

How are you planning to promote this album?
I never made many music videos for my previous albums but will do so on this one. I had a Singapore tour called Nepali Thito, and there will be many tours in and outside Nepal as well.

How is the marketing and selling scene of CD albums these days according to you?
I hardly see CD shops these days, but I love music, and so I want to continue with it. Rebel creation looks after everything so hopefully they have a lot of plans as such.

Which international artists do you listen to?
All the bands from the 80’s Nepali favourites. Sabin Rai, 1974 AD.

In your research, what age group of kids listen to your songs?
Majority are all teens.

Thank you for the interview and good luck.
Thanks Wave, and all the best to you too.

source: Wave magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts

Book this space

how do u find our Blog???